6. The Institutions
Police
As the population continued to grow, the need for a Police Station became more evident. Following representations by local residents a Mounted Police Constable was appointed in 1911. A small weatherboard residence was rented in Wood Street between Lime Street and Webb Street now occupied by John Knoll.
The first Police Officer to be appointed was Mounted Constable Rose. The building in Wood Street served as a Police Station for six years and was then transferred to the brick building in Wise Street vacated by Harry White. The date was July lst, 1917. A new wooden 'Lock Up' building along with stables for the Police horses was erected at the rear of the house.
A five acre paddock east of the Public School on the corner of Webb Street and Crick Street set aside for Police Purposes in 1904 was never occupied by the Police Department.
On the lst July, 1920, the Police Department decided to move again. This time it was to Lime Street in premises rented from Mrs. E. Fairweather. The wooden lock up used at Harry White's former home was placed on skids and towed to the rear of the new station. A forage room and stables were added at the same time. The property was purchased from Mrs. Fairweather in September, 1928. Eight years was destined to be the life of the new Police Station and on the night of October 19th, 1930 it was destroyed by fire.
A new brick Police Station was erected on the site and occupied again on 7th January, 1932.
During the time that the new building was under construction, the Police Department used the cottage next door, rented from Christopher Fairweather of 'Clifton Hills', Marrar.
After Constable Rose's term expired, he was succeeded by Constable Barber who was later to become licensee of the Royal Hotel. Other Police Constables to serve at Marrar in order of appointment were, Constables Pickup, Oakman, Gunther, Sullivan, Hillier, Murphy, Moore, Campbell, Truscott and Derrick.
In 1942, due to the strain of World War 11, the Police Station at Marrar was closed and the Patrol Area was amalgamated with Junee Police District. The last Police Officer to serve in Marrar was Constable Jim Derrick. With one or two exceptions all the Police Officers stationed in the town were excellent types and held the respect of the community in general.
Second Police Station at Marrar, formerly home of "Dilly" White. Â Later home of the Ryan Family.

The Post Office
The first record of a mail service to Marrar dates back to lst October, 1876. As the township of Marrar did not exist at this time, the name Marrar refers to Marrar Station. This was the year after Richard Cox and his new bride built Marrar Homestead and moved in.
On the above date, J.J. Thurtle of Wagga received a mail contract set out as follows:-
From Wagga Wagga to Marrar, The Rocks, (McDonald's) Mirnosa, Quandary, Broken Dam, and Ariah, returning to Wagga Wagga via Warri, Murril Creek, Cowabbee and Kindra.
These were the names of stations operating at the time. The Rocks is not known by that name today, but was the home of Miss Rebeeca MeDonnell, mentioned in the story of Murrulebale and Rockview Stations, and known today as Rocky Hill.
The names McDonald and McDonnell at this point become confusing. R.E. Gorinley, a noted historian of the early life of the district, refers to George and Colin McDonald's run as East of 'Marulebale' Ranges. The same writer later mentions that George and Colin McDonnell secured the lease of 'Murrulebale' Run in 1849. The hill just east of North Berry Jerry, now called Crawford's Hill, was at one time known as ‘Marulebale’ Hill.
The mail service by horseback and packhorse was conducted once a week, the contractor being paid £150/-/- per year.
On 1st January, 1878, the contract passed to R.J. Montgomery who held it until1st January, 1881. During this period the allowance paid to the contractor was reduced to £126/-/-. At the same time a small coach was introduced for conveyance of passengers, hence the reduced allowance. The service was later increased to twice weekly with coach or buggy travelling one vehicle each way.
In 1881, the mail service passed to Peter McAlister, and was reduced to once weekly again. A branch mail to Mandamah, Wallandry, and Wollongough was added. For both services the contractors fee was increased to £264/10/-. A Clause in McAlister's Contract stated - Contractor permitted to travel by surveyed road between Cowabie and Kindra, subject to revision. This service was maintained by McAlister until 31st December, 1883, when it was taken over by Janes Heathwood of Cootamundra who operated it until 31st December, 1890.
At the termination of Heathwood's contract, Peter McAlister started a coach service from Wagga Wagga to Ungarie and again secured the mail contract. It expired at the end of 1891. No records of contracts exist after this date, but the mail from Wagga Wagga to Marrar Station via Downside continued until 1897 when it ceased. From this time on, until 1907 mail was received and dispatched from the Marrar Railway Station.
In 1907, Frank Walker of Coolamon, secured the Contract for a new mail service described as follows:- 'From Coolamon along the South West Railway Line towards Marrar, turning south and making a circuit amongst the new settlers on Marrar and Gobbagumbalin Stations, distance 28 miles. Amount of Contract £70/-/- yearly.' This route was taken over by John Reynolds after the death of Frank Walker on 26th March, 1912 and ceased on 27th October, 1912, when Kenneth McLelland of Coolamon became mailman.
On 1st January, 1911, a new mail route south from Marrar twice weekly was commenced. The new route went east of the Wagga-Marrar Road for a few miles, then along the road to Alleyns (Clarrie Koetz) west to O'Keefes and Corneys then back to Marrar. Farmers on this route were Corbett (Gooley's), MeCrea, Good, Ray, Roberts, W. Alleyn, J.W. Corney, R. Comey. The distance was 25 miles. The first operator was David Nolan of Marrar. Nolan was replaced by W.H. (Harry) White on lst August, 1913.
White was the builder, bullocky and water diviner mentioned earlier. Herbert Walter Barron took over from White on 1st January, 1914 and operated until 31st December, 1916.
Alfred H. Hipwell who was the father of Mrs. W.G. Gillard succeeded Herbie Barron and held the contract until his death in August 1929. Lance Redgrave from the Pioneer Store succeeded A.H. Hipwell and was the first operator to use a motor vehicle on this run, a small dodge truck driven by Jim Fury or Ted Powell. In later years, the run was operated by popular townsman Bill Bentley.
On the lst July, 1914 a new mail route north from Marrar came into operation. The route was described as follows:- 'From Marrar Northwards via Maloney's, Watsons (now Connollys) to Stevenson's, returning via Butler's and Winchester's, thence by road to Marrar'. Most of the farmers on this run received their mail at their homes as the route left the Winchendon Vale road and passed through their properties. At Stevenson's, Robert Stevenson and his family always had a cup of tea ready for the driver, and they made sure his horse received a drink of water.
The first mailman of this run was Frank C. Smith, the local baker mentioned earlier. The service, twice weekly, was by horse and sulky over a distance of 26 miles, and the contract price was £65/-/-. Smith used the mail run as a delivery service for his bread and this practice has continued ever since. The bread was always wrapped in light tissue paper, then newspaper and securely bound with binder twine. When Smith sold his bakery business in July, 1919, his successor, C.J. Taylor carried on the mail run.
The list of the mail contractors for 1921 shows that Alfred H. Hipwell held both north and south mail routes and continued until December, 1923. On the 1st January, 1924, F.A. 'Crikey' Herman held the contract, but by 1925 the mail service had passed to John J. Gleeson who was operating the small fruit shop formerly run by Harry Dale.
From Gleeson the contract went to Charles Maynard, a native of Tarcutta. Maynard is recorded by Australian Post as the first mailman authorised to use a motor vehicle on the run, but John Gleeson had used a Model T. Ford car on the run for the two years he operated.
From Maynard the run went to Mrs. Sainsbury on 19th August, 1929 and was transferred to R.C. Humphries on May 1st, 1930. In later years, the mail run north from Marrar was increased to three times weekly and was operated by Lance Redgrave.
In 1930, the south Marrar route operated by Lance Redgrave was altered, those on the run being listed as follows:- Rapley, MeCrea's, T. Keough, A.G. MCIntyre, Irving, Taylor, G Rapley, R. McKenzie, Caesars, A.A. Roberts, M. and A. Buchanan, Field, Donohues, MeEwin, Chamberlan, Bowyer and F. Koetz returning to Marrar via Johnson's, S.G. Hamilton's, J. Gibbon's, C. Hainilton's, Harper's, Anderson's, J. and P. Moloney's, M. O'Dwyer's, Marrar Vale School, J. Gaynor's, Dixon's, T. Gaynor's, W. and E.F. Roberts', Foley's, J. Keough's, and A. Wooden's. - Distance 33 miles - On the 15th June, 1932, the frequency of this run was reduced to twice a week and the subsidy to 120/-/- per annum.
The first Post Office in Marrar Township was established on lst February, 1887. Mrs. Ettie Ewels was appointed as Receiving Office Keeper, a similar position to what is now known as Non-Official Postmaster, her salary being £5/-/- per year.
No record is available of where this office stood, but as no business houses had been erected as yet, this would have been Mrs. Ewel's residence. The most likely place at the time being the gatehouse, later to become the Station Master's residence, which is still standing. Mrs. Ewel's duties were mainly to provide safe keeping for the mails she received. Local residents and farmers collected their mail here, not sufficient mail being received to warrant deliveries at this time.
Beaney was succeeded on lst January, 1907 by Mrs. Ida C. Rowe, whose position is not clear, but is believed to be the same as Mrs. Driver's, gatekeeper at the Railway Crossing. Mrs. Rowe was succeeded on 11th February, 1908 by George F.W. Barnett.
The last Postmaster to operate at the Railway Station was Michael Bourke, who took up duties on 13th June, 1908.
The Post Office was removed from the Railway Station on the 14th July, 1909 and located in new premises, erected by 'Grover' Flood adjoining the Royal Hotel. Flood, who was prominent in the early history of Marrar, then became Postmaster. He telephoned any telegrams through to Junee, which acted as his repeater station. The Junee Office would then transmit the telegrams into the morse code network. 'Grover' Flood also undertook to 'porter' the mails the 125 yards to and from the Railway Station each day.
In November, 1909, Grosvenor Flood wrote to the Deputy Postmaster General in Sydney stating that business at Marrar had increased to such an extent that the Office should be raised to semi-official status. The request was granted and on 1st July, 1910 the Post Office was made semiofficial. Flood's salary as Postmaster was raised from £61/-/- to £140/-/- per annum. During the period 1907 to 1910 revenue at the Post Office increased from £123/-/to £264/-/-.
Grosvenor Flood was succeeded by Mrs. L.K. McBaron on 1st February, 1915, her daughter, Miss Ruth McBaron, on leaving school, became telephonist. By this time the Post Office was operating on the corner of Wood Street and York Street in premises newly erected by Grosvenor Flood, and the new Railway Station had been built.
The Post Office remained on this site until 1962, but by this time had become very dilapidated. Representations by the Postmaster at the time, Mr. A. Cashmere, were successful and the Office was relocated on the corner of York Street, across from the Royal Hotel.
The new Post Office, with residence attached had housed the Bank of New South Wales for over twenty-five years. Postmaster at the present time is Mr. Charles Brady assisted by his wife Margaret.
Old Marrar Post Office with flood waters up to front door.

Post Office 1978. Formerly the Bank of New South Wales.

Country Women's Association
The following story is written as a tribute to country women, not just the women of Marrar, but to those dedicated ladies who have devoted so much of their lives to making Australia a better place to live in. Much of the information contained in the following pages was supplied by Mrs. Mabel Wooden a former President of the Marrar Branch and now resident in Junee.
Among the organisations that continue to serve the district, none has a prouder record than the Marrar branch of the Country Women's Association of N.S.W. Residents of the district had realised for many years the need for an organisation to serve the interests of country women and their children.
At a special meeting held in Winter's Hall Marrar in September, 1932 a very large and enthusiastic gathering decided to form the Marrar branch of the Country Women's Association of N.S.W. Mrs. A.M. Kelly was elected as the foundation President.
From the beginning, the Branch's main objective was the erection of a Rest Room and Baby Health Centre where mothers could bring their babies for a health cheek and advice on correct feeding. Previously the nearest centre had been at Junee. A special fund was set aside for this project. Fund raising efforts were from street stalls, catering, snowball afternoons and special efforts by individual members. The main effort of the year was the Marrar Fancy Fair and Flower Show. After forty-six years the 'Fair' as it has now become known, is still held and remains on the calendar as a special day in the life of the town.
Members, realising that personal contact is so important in associations such as the C.W.A. extend invitations to State and Group Presidents to attend as Guest Speakers. Such days are always regarded as 'Gala' days, friendly and educational. Meetings, held monthly, were first held in Winter's Hall, the rent for which was two shillings and sixpence, while the Baby Health Centre was a small room with a door opening onto the street, in Regrave's Pioneer Store.
The Clinic Sister, Sister Gelling, who came from Junee, visited the centre once a week. From the beginning the Baby Health Centre has been a great success and well supported by mothers with young children. A library with an excellent selection of books has also been added.
In 1938, the C.W.A. called a public meeting for the purpose of forming first aid classes. The classes proved very successful; those who attended the course of instructions sat for the final examination and were awarded a certificate from St. Johns Ambulance Association. Home Nursing Classes were also held and several ladies of the district passed the St. Johns Course in Home Nursing.
The Branch holds an International Day each year which creates a great atmosphere of companionship among members. The Birthday Meeting of the Branch is another happy occasion for members. Invitations are extended to members of other branches to attend and a special guest is invited to cut the cake.
During World War 2 members devoted many hours of their time to making comforts for local servicemen serving overseas. Balaclavas and socks were knitted, cakes made and many parcels made up for the Patriotic and War Fund. Each month, two hampers of food were donated by members and sent overseas as part of the Food for Britain Appeal.
No worthwhile cause has ever failed to gain the support of the Marrar Branch and today, even though small in numbers, they continue to serve the community.
Over the years special efforts have been held for Junee Hospital, Marrar Public School, Home of Compassion, Red Cross, The Haven, Gumleigh Boys' Home and Far West. Without doubt the greatest achievement by the Branch was the erection of the Meeting Room, Rest Room and Baby Health Centre in the Main Street of Marrar.
What a day of pride and achievement it was for members when on the 9th December 1953 the building was officially opened by the President of the Coolamon Shire, Cr HL Eastick. During his opening Address Cr Eastick said he was amazed at what a small group of dedicated country women had achieved. This was especially so when one realised that this splendid building was erected from the proceeds of street stalls, catering and the individual efforts of its hard working members.
In 1954 a most attractive fence was erected in front of the building and a kitchen has since been added. Since its opening in 1953, every member of the community has at some time received some benefit from the use of the C.W.A. Room. Every organisation in the district now uses the Marrar C.W.A. Room as the venue for its meetings.
How well the members live up to their motto -
Loyalty to the Throne, Service to the Country, Through Country Women, For Country Women, By Country Women.
Foundation meeting of the Marrar Branch Country Women's Association. Â Picture taken in front of supper room at Winters Hall September 1932.

CWA Meeting Room and Baby Health Centre, York Street, 1978.

Marrar War Memorial Hall
By Bryan Murphy
At a public meeting called by Cr HL Eastick in April, 1963, it was decided to build a hall to replace Winter's Hall which had served the needs of the community since the early part of the century. A Committee was formed and comprised Cr HL Eastick President, B. Murphy Secretary, E. Clark Treasurer, G. Wooden, F. Eastick, J. Fox, N. Murphy, N. Curran, A. Cashmere, T. Pattison, B. Langtry, AC McKelvie, MJ Hodge, J. Turner, C. Turner, C. Spratt, W. Gooley, R.L. Wooden, M. Greenwood, M. Shea, G. Mohr, at the time the hall was completed in October, 1965. I Townsend was Architect, Bede Murphy, Legal Adviser, and J.F. Cooper, Auditor.
The design and plans for the hall were drawn up by Ian Townsend. The building has a butterfly roof and is 80' x 60'. The entrance from the patio through the foyer is most attractive and leads to a tallow wood dance floor 50' x 44' with supper room to seat 150 adjacent. Designed for concert use, is a large stage with dressing rooms on each side. The kitchen is fully equipped with refrigeration, stove, hot and cold water, sinks and cupboards. Septic toilets are provided. Mrs Isobelle Roberts donated the land on which the hall stands.
Financing the project was a challenge to everyone. Mr. E.J. Koetz made an unsolicited donation of $200 which led to Mick Shea suggesting a canvass for $200 donations on a basis of 30 in for committal. Alf Cashmere and Redvie Wooden took up the challenge and achieved the object very quickly, in the process getting many other offers. There were two Art Unions with motor cars for the lucky winners, two gala days which drew large crowds and were great fun. 'Winchy Wing Dings' and 'Downside Doo's' as Alf Cashmere called them in his poetic advertising, a concert at Coolamon by the local and invited talent and after the opening a delightful concert in the hall by Gladys Lewis. The use of the racecourse was gained by the Committee, cropping was done on a voluntary basis by close at hand farmers and was a good money raiser. Jack Fox suggested a sheep project which proved a real winner. Just over 700 wethers were bought and agisted on 65 properties in the district. The sheep became members of the farmer's flock for the duration of their useful life. The wool was collected, classed and baled at the end of each shearing season and when the sheep reached retiring age they were sold. More than $10,000 was raised by this means. There were many other efforts and as a result, the hall was fully paid for by the end of 1969.
A Plans Committee was formed, its members being, R.T. Wooden, M.J. Hodge, A. Cashmere, C. Spratt and A.C. McKelvie. Together with a group of ladies, the Committee inspected halls at Ariah Park, Ardlethan and Whitton and were given full co-operation of the respective committees of those halls. The Council Building Inspector, Mr. John Eyies was also most helpful with relevant advice and drew up a set of plans for consideration. Ian Townsend submitted his plans in January, 1964 and the Committee decided to build to them.
After two unsuccessful attempts to get a satisfactory tender it was decided on lst September, 1964 to build up to the money in hand. Milton Hodge was employed and put in charge of erecting the building. Redvie Wooden was appointed to act on behalf of the Committee for on the spot consultation and decisions regarding the building. Progress was good and in March 1965, it was decided to borrow the money required to complete the hall.
Many were called on at various times for assistance with the construction work and Bill Pearce for his work on the floor and Dave Moore as a volunteer tradesman on the painting are worthy of mention for contributions of time and effort. In this, as in the many other areas of involvement in the project, the enthusiasm and talent of Redvie Wooden were evident, playing a major part in the tasteful finish to what set out to be a utility work.
The hall was opened by Mr. J.H. Taylor, M.L.A. at a ball attended by over 500 people on Friday 8th October, 1965. Mrs Taylor and Coolamon Shire President Cr. C.J. Logan and Mrs. Logan were also in the official party. Cr H.L. Eastick welcomed the visitors and thanked all for their part in building the hall. Milton Hodge was called to the stage to receive the appreciation of those present for the job he had done in building the hall. Mr Ian Townsend accompanied by Mrs Townsend (nee Helen Fox) was thanked for his generous gesture in drawing up the plans and specifications. Cr Eastick complimented Ian on the outstanding quality of his work which was clearly evident to everyone in the building. A silver tray with suitable inscription was presented to Ian.
The Honour Rolls for the two World Wars were installed one on each side of the stage and on the 1lth November, 1965 the hall was dedicated as a War Memorial at an impressive ceremony presided over by Cr H.L. Eastick; Rev Basil Thomas for the Church of England, Rev N.H. Pollock Presbyterian and Rev H. Smit Methodist, jointly conducted the prayers and dedication service. Mr. A. Anderson recited the ‘Ode to the Fallen' and on behalf of the Coolamon R.S.L. presented wreaths to be mounted below the Honour Rolls. Members of the Recruit Training Battalion from Kapooka carried out the Military procedures including the lowering and raising of the flag and sounding of the 'Last Post' and 'Reveille' at the appropriate times. The flag pole was erected by Harold and Bill Pearce.
In August 1963 Mesdames J. Turner, R. Wooden and A. Cashmere were elected to form a Hall Ladies Auxiliary and the ladies responded in magnificent style. The Auxiliary is still active and is justly proud of it's record. They have catered for balls, weddings and parties and the quality of their work is always praised. The Auxiliary has financed the curtains, all the kitchen and catering equipment and the major part of the chairs and tables.
A Hall Younger Set was formed in late 1965 with Les Hancock, President and Margaret Spratt, Secretary. The object being to encourage the young people to make full use of the hall. The hall was made available to the Younger Set for their meetings and functions on condition they made an annual effort for the general funds. The Group controlled a wide range of activities including dances, concerts, table tennis, car rallies, snow trips and basketball. The main contribution to the hall was the purchase and installation of the public address system; several cash contributions have been made to the funds and members have supported the painting and maintenance working bees.
Cr. Tom Pattison took over as President of the Committee in 1968 and C.G. 'Jack' Spratt was elected Treasurer when Erie Clark left the district the same year. Bryan Murphy remained as Secretary and the Executive was the same until John Seymour became President in 1978.
The hall is still used regularly and interest in it remains good. Amenities added since the opening include heaters and fans, and the Coolamon Shire Council assisted by tar sealing the parking area and providing concrete paths as required around the hall.
Marrar War Memorial Hall completed in 1965. Â Designed by Ian Townsend.
