17. Churches
Methodist Church
Until the year 1910 Methodist in Marrar and surrounding areas had no regular of worship. Services were conducted in the Union Church at North Berry Jerry which was as an all denomination church in 1880. Builders were Mr. Bradshaw and son David. The first service took place on 21st November, 1880 with an attendance of 71. The first communion was held on 15th January 1882 when there was an attendance of 73.
The first record of Methodist Church services begins in the year 1880 when the J.R. Turner conducted a service in the district. This service, which took place on 21st March, 1880 was held in either Fadden's Woolshed, or Butcher's Store at North Berry Jerry.
Services were held intermittently from Junee until 1896 when the Coolamon Circuit was constituted. The Union Church, however, remained in the Junee Circuit for several more years.
When 'Sister Alice' a Baptist Missionary first conducted all denominations services in Winter's Hall most Methodists attended, but moves were already under way for the erection of a Methodist Church in Marrar.
The site for the new church was between the homes of the two bullock drivers mentioned elsewhere, Harry White and Joe Humphries. It was a proud day for the Methodists of Marrar when the new church, built by Beaumont and Owen builders of Cootamundra, was completed.
The following report, published in the Coolamon Review, dated 30 September, 1910 gives a full coverage of the opening day. 'For the second time in a few weeks a new church has been opened in the thriving little town of Marrar. Tuesday, 20th September the day of the opening dawned bright and fine and soon busy figures were flitting about making the hundred and one preparations necessary for the opening. A little before 3pm the church was packed with worshippers.
The dedication service was conducted by the Rev. J.K. Turner of Cootamundra, Chairman of the Riverina District. After the service Mr. G.L. Massingham took a photo of the church and the assembled company which should be of lasting interest. Following the service a Tea Meeting was held in Winter's Hall. Provisions were abundant and of the best, and many there were that partook of them.
At night a public meeting and concert was held in the church. Extra forms kindly loaned by the owners of Winter's Hall were put in but many had to stand throughout the evening. Mr, C.J. Pearce Snr. was Chairman and the meeting was addressed by Rev. A.E. Putland and Rev. J.K. Turner.
The concert programme which was excellent, was rendered by Mrs. Shepherd, Misses Pearce (three), Sister Alice and Messrs. J. Gorden, Perey Lord and Harry Downes. An appeal for funds was liberally responded to.
On Sunday 25 September, offertories were devoted to the building fund. Services were conducted at 3pm by Rev. A.E. Putland and at 7.30pm by Rev. Wesley. There were crowded congregations at both services. The financial result totalled over £50/-/which is splendid for a little town like Marrar. The church as well as being used by the Methodists and Sister Alice is offered to any other denomination who cares to use it.'
Circuit ministers since the opening in 1910 have been Revs. A.E. Putland, W.A. Murray, W. Theobold, T.J. Starr, L.T. Bird, J. Thompson, A.J. Skinner L Th, G. Gray, R.F. Gibson L Th, G.A. Knight, G.H. Carr, W.S. Beasley, W. Dundas L Th, W.G. Francis, C. Thompson, C.M. Drury, Hank Smit, T. Blackwell, B.J. Harvey. Present minister is Rev. Hugh Proctor, formerly of the Presbyterian Church and now serving as minister of the Uniting Church.
In 1977 the Methodist and Presbyterian Churches were united in Australia and the well cared-for Marrar Methodist Church on the Coolamon Road became the Uniting Church in Australia.
Opening of the Methodist Church September 20 1910, now the Uniting Church of Australia.

St Patrick's Church
Like the faithful ones of other denominations, the Catholic Community of Marrar have always had a close relationship with their kinfolk in Coolamon. In the days of early settlement they were part of the Parish of Wagga Wagga. The first priest to conduct services in the area was Rev. Fr. Birmingham. The service was conducted at Butcher's Store, North Berry Jerry, later the property of Mr. 'GAR' Casley.
Early services were conducted in the waiting room of the Coolamon Railway Station and at Winchendon Vale in private homes. At Marrar, Mass was celebrated in Winter's Hall.
The late Bishop Gallagher and Monsignor Buckley from Wagga were the first priests to make regular visits to Marrar. Coolamon and Marrar were later attached to Junee Parish, and for a short time Coolamon was part of Ganmain Parish. In 1916 the Coolamon Parish was formed and Marrar became part of Coolamon. The late Rev. Fr. Griffin being the first Parish Priest.
When Marrar was surveyed and proclaimed a village on 27th February, 1904 a portion of land was set aside for the erection of a Catholic Church. The trustees were listed as F. Gallagher and others. While services were continued in Winter's Hall the Catholic Community set themselves the task of raising sufficient finance to build their own church in Marrar. By 1911 they had reached their goal and in the same year work was commenced on St. Patrick's Church, Marrar. A fine brick structure, it stands today as a memorial to their efforts.
The church was officially opened and blessed by the Bishop, the Rt. Rev. Dr. J. Gallagher D.D. on 28th February, 1912. Parish Priest at the time was Rev. Fr. J.J. Gaffey. The Rev. Fr. Griffin succeeded Fr. Gaffey and later Rev. Fr. Fleming became Parish Priest.
In 1921 the Rev. Fr. Gahan became Parish Priest and served the community with love and devotion until his death in 1945. He was succeeded in 1946 by the Rev. Dr. Harper D.D. During Dr. Harper's tenure, a marble altar, one of the most beautiful in the Diocese, was erected in St. Michael's Church Coolamon as a memorial to the memory of the late Fr. Gahan. Dr. Harper was transferred to the Parish of Griffith in 1951 and was succeeded by the Very Rev. Fr. O'Neill. The last two Parish Priests to serve in the Coolamon Parish were Rev. Fr. Lane, and at present Rev. Fr. Fitzgerald.
St Patricks Roman Catholic Church.

The Baptist Church
By Mabel Wooden
Travelling from Mimosa in a horse and sulky in the year 1909, a missionary sister, ‘Sister Alice' visited Marrar to ascertain whether it would be possible to hold christian services in the town. She was well pleased with what she found in the town and district and believed it would be worthwhile commencing church services for all those who desired to attend.
Winter's Hall was booked and at the first service eighty people attended and at the next one hundred. Later a Sunday School for the children was formed and this was well attended. The following year, 1910, the Methodist Church was completed and soon afterwards the Baptist Church and Manse were erected.
'Sister Alice' who had previously lived at Mimosa then moved into the Manse. She was accompanied by Miss Hilda Hancock, A.S.C.M. who taught music from the Manse. Sister Alice had a rare gift for hospitality, having that ability to make their home, God's Home. She remained for over ten years and proved herself to be a christian sister and friend, visiting and preaching and sharing the gospel message to all. Sister Alice returned home to Sale in Victoria when her mother's health was failing.
The Baptist Denomination took over the church which in later years was sold to the Church of England. It is still in use, situated in Webb Street. Today, Kevin and Sue Hodge and family live in the old Manse.
The Baptist Chruch with a group of tennis players about 1913. Courts were at the rear of the church. Hooded sulky was used by "Sister Alice".

"Sister Alice" and Miss Hancock ASCM.

St Francis - Church of England
Much of the information supplied on the history of the Anglican Church is derived from the Back to Coolamon Week Souvenirs of 1934 and 1956. Early records of the church are believed to have been destroyed in a fire at the church hall several years ago.
However, from an article in the 1934 Souvenir booklet it would appear that -Marrar has always been linked with the Coolamon Parish. It was during 1886 that the parish was defined and a vicar appointed. Previous to that time, the Reverend James Studs who was in charge of the Parish of St. Luke at Junee had conducted services in the area.
In that year the first Bishop of Riverina, Dr. Linton, inducted the Reverend Manual Moran into the parish which at the time extended from Currawarna on the South, north to Mimosa and Beaconsfield, (now Winchendon Vale). It included the Parish of St. Peter at Ganmain and parts of the present parishes of Temora and Ariah Park. On Sunday April 25th, 1897 Rev. Moran officiated for the last time as vicar of the parish.
The Rev. A. Greenwood followed as second vicar, commencing duties a month after Rev. Moran departed, but he resigned and left the parish at the end of a years work.
The Rev. R.W. Holden succeeded Rev. Greenwood, taking up duties within a fortnight of his predecessors departure. He was an elderly man when he came to the district, but was full of vigour, and his untiring energy won the admiration of his parishioners for the way in which he fulfilled the various jobs that fell to his lot. St. Andrews Church Coolamon is indebted to him for the beautiful brass eagle lectern which was his own personal gift to the church.
Towards the middle of 1911 the Rev. Holden became ill and although he continued to carry on the work of the parish to the best of his ability it was soon realised that he would have to retire. He resigned and left the parish early in 1912. On Trinity Sunday June 2nd 1912 Mr. Rupert Ross Edwards officiated for the first time as Deacon in charge of the parish with occasional help from Canon G.A. Carter of Wagga.
On Friday May 9th 1913 Mr. Ross Edwards was raised to the Priesthood in St. Pauls Pro-Cathedral, Hay. The Rev. Ross Edwards conducted his last service in the parish on July 18th 1920. He was succeeded by the Rev Verner Rogers who commenced duty in the parish the following Sunday. The Rev. Rogers continued to serve the parish until his death on November 24, 1937, his funeral taking place at Ballarat.
The Rev. Walter G. Bennett was inducted as rector on March 10, 1938. He served the parish for just on seven years, leaving for Queensland in 1945. Others to serve after Rev. Bennett's departure, were Rev. Hancock 1945, Rev. R Kerdel 1946. Mr. L.W.J. Redmond, a retired business man commenced duties as Deacon on November 4, 1951 and was ordained in October 1952. He transferred to Leeton and was succeeded by Rev. V.S. Forester in October 1955.
Other rectors to follow in order were Rev. Basil -Thomas, Rev. Lindon, Rev. Donald Hoore, Rev. Josephs, who was a native of India, and at time of writing Rev. Myhill-Taylor, who is also in charge of St. Peters Church, Ganmain.
Beginning with the arrival of Rev. Ross Edwards in 1912 services were held in the Methodist Church at Marrar after it was opened, and this amicable arrangement with the Methodist people continued until 1940.
As the congregation continued to increase so did the need for an Anglican Church, in Marrar. The Baptist Church, in Webb St., which was completed in 1912, had not been used for several years and negotiations were begun for its purchase. On January 16, 1940 the deed for the land was transferred to the Diocese trustees from Mary Margaret Winchester, Alice Skeels (Sister Alice) and John James Fury.
A note on the deed stated that proof had been furnished to the Registrar General of the deaths of Arthur James Hancock and William Henry White. These five people had been trustees for the Baptist Church. After some repairs and additions were carried out, the building was dedicated and opened as St. Francis Anglican Church by the Bishop of Riverina, Bishop R.C. Halse on October 5th, 1940.
St Francis Church of England, formerly Baptist Church.
