2. Earliest Records of the District
Marrar Station
Crown records show settlement as early as 1850 but these were mostly grazing leases. No titles to land were issued till some thirty years later.
The Wagga Wagga Pastures Protection District and Bourke, Cooper, Dowling and Gipps Gold Fields were proclaimed on 15th October, 1880. These gold fields were situated at Sebastopol and Junee Reefs. Some of the old shafts and mullock heaps are visible today. The mines were reef gold and showed promise early but later faded out. It is doubtful if very much gold was mined from the fields.
The name MARRAR, shown in early records as MARROR was derived from Marror Run or Lease which was first opened up in 1850. This was the year that tenders were first called by the Crown for the lease of Marror Run of about 60,000 acres. The successful tenderers were, Angus, John, Ronald and George Rankin. These four brothers at one time owned 'Bombowlee' Run at Tumut and several other leases as well, but no records exist to show they ever resided at Marrar.
In 1856 the Rankins sold out to Auber George Jones of Wagga Wagga a well known pastoralist in that district. From 1882 - 1885 he was a member of the New South Wales Parliament.
In 1867 the property passed to R.B. Wilkinson and J.S. Lavender who conducted the Stock and Station Agency of Wilkinson and Lavender with branches at Wagga Wagga, Hay and Sydney.
John Cox of Mangoplah, who owned several stations in the Riverina, purchased Marror in 1873 and handed it over to his eldest son, Richard. In November 1875 Richard Cox married the eldest daughter of Lt. J.J. Moore of Baw Baw Station in the Goulburn District. Richard Cox built the Marror homestead and came to live there with his wife soon afterwards. He was a progressive type of man and soon had a large area under cultivation. He took an active part in district affairs and at the time of his death in September 1891, he was Chairman of Directors, Murrumbidgee Milling Co., Wagga Wagga. Mr. John P. Cox, son of Richard Cox, was the last member of the Cox family to reside at Marror.
Marrar Station Homestead Built by Richard Cox

Marrar Station Woolshed 1880's

Records do not show, but it is claimed that the first wheat ever grown in the district was grown on Marror Station. During its long life Marror was cropped mainly by sharefarmers. Many farmers in the district today owe their success to the start they received on Marror Station.
During the ownership of John P. Cox large areas were resumed by the government and broken up for Closer Settlement. The area south of Marror Town, from W. Shea's and running west to Kindra crossing was resumed in 1919 as a Soldier Settlement Area. The first settlers included H.L. Eastick, K. and E. Palmer, C. Dixon, J. Collins, M. Charnberlain-Schultz.
Joining Marror on the South was Gobbagumbalin which stretched right back to and along the Murrumbidgee River. North East of Marror was Rockview, which in turn was joined on the north by Murrulebale. Further north was Big Mimosa and west of Murrulebale was Berry Jerry and coming back south again to join Marror was Kindra. The latter two properties were first taken up by Samuel Stinson and his wife and family of three children in 1849.
​
Murrulebale Station
The first records of Murrulebale Station begin in 1849 when George and Colin McDonnell secured the lease of 22,400 acres. They were the sons of Captain George McDonnell of Bongongs Station between Tumut and Yass. George McDonnell became the sole owner in 1861 when he acquired his brother's interest.
By the year 1892, McDonnell had built the area up to 44,000 acres when he secured adjoining Rockview. In 1892, the two properties passed to his niece Miss Rebeeca R. McDonnell who held it till she died in 1903.
Miss McDonnell did not live at Murrulebale or Rockview. Our records show that her home was on what is now known as Seymours Hill. A close search of the area reveals some traces of Miss McDonnell's occupancy. This area was, for a time, part of Murrulebale Run. With her passing in 1903, both Rockview and Murrulebale were purchased by Scottish Australian Investment Co. Ltd., known today as Scottish Australia.
In 1948 the north west portion of Murrulebale was surrendered to the State as a Soldier Settlement Area. The balance of Murrulebale and the whole of Rockview was resumed by the N.S.W. Department of Lands and broken up for Closer Settlement in 1962.
Station Store, Murrulebale about 1900, with Storekeeper and his dog.

Group of employees, sharefarmers and their families at Murrulebale Station October 18th 1907. Â The occassion was to present the manager, Neil McCallum with an illumimated address in recognition of his 21 years as manager of Murrulebale and Rockview Stations.
